First10EM Journal Club: June DasSMACC Edition
Welcome back to the roughly monthly Journal Club with Dr Justin Morgenstern of First10EM fame.
This month we have a special edition for you – we invited 6 of our favourite EBM FOAMed folks to join us live in Berlin at DasSMACC. We recorded the following podcast in the hotel lobby bar over a few pints of Germany’s finest ale. This was a really fun session – we asked each participant to bring along a paper for discussion and we all chipped in to the chatter. The voices you will hear are:-
- Dr Andy Neill – the fast-talking Irishman, who kindly recorded the whole deal. You can hear more form him at the RCEM podcast.
- Dr Justin Morgenstern – as always
- Dr Andy Tagg, (from Don’t Forget the Bubbles) the Aussie-based Englishman with the most original English accent.
- Dr Michelle Johnson (Aussie accent) of LITFL fame, bringing her usually written excellence to the spoken word.
- Dr Pik Mukherji – the super sensible (even cynical?) NewYorker
- Dr Connie Smith – one of my Aussie / Broome Residents with a penchant for all things ophthalmology
- Dr Ben Smith (US of the Week) – the Tennessee-based POCUS guru and super nice guy.
- And me, of course
OK, that is the cast of characters. Now onto the podcast. WARNING- it is a long one. I would suggest breaking it into a few sections if you prefer.
As always the written summary is available over at First10EM and the whole PDFs for free on the hyperlinks below. So listen, read, learn and share – this is the essence of FOAMed and the reason we all came along to Berlin to share in the celebration that is SMACC.
Suggested by Michelle Johnston (@Eleytherius): Chan BS et al. Efficacy and effectiveness of anti-digoxin antibodies in chronic digoxin poisonings from the DORA study (ATOM-1). Clinical toxicology (Philadelphia, Pa.). 2016; 54(6):488-94.
Suggested by Ben Smith (@UltrasoundJelly): Gaspari R, Weekes A, Adhikari S. Emergency department point-of-care ultrasound in out-of-hospital and in-ED cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2016; 109:33-39.
Suggested by Andy Neill (@AndyNeill): Aagaard R et al. Detection of Pulmonary Embolism During Cardiac Arrest-Ultrasonographic Findings Should Be Interpreted With Caution. Critical care medicine. 2017; 45(7):e695-e702.
Suggested by Andy Tagg (@andrewjtagg): Humphreys S et al. Transnasal humidified rapid-insufflation ventilatory exchange (THRIVE) in children: a randomized controlled trial. British journal of anaesthesia. 2017; 118(2):232-238.
Suggested by Dr. Pik Mukherji (@ercowboy) Egerton-Warburton D et al. Antiemetic use for nausea and vomiting in adult emergency department patients: randomized controlled trial comparing ondansetron, metoclopramide, and placebo. Annals of emergency medicine. 2014; 64(5):526-532.e1.
Suggested by Dr. Connie Smith (@halfbakeddoc) Rose PW, Harnden A, Brueggemann AB. Chloramphenicol treatment for acute infective conjunctivitis in children in primary care: a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Lancet (London, England). 2005; 366(9479):37-43
Suggested by Casey Parker (@broomedocs ): Spinner RJ, Poliakoff MB, Tiel RL. The origin of “Saturday night palsy”? Neurosurgery. 2002; 51(3):737-41.
Suggested by our EBM guru Dr Morgenstern ( @FIRST10EM )…. a “pucker of papers” on digital rectal massage – yes, really….
- Roberge R et al. Termination of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia by digital rectal massage. Annals of emergency medicine. 1987; 16(11):1291-3.
- Lieberman ME. Ventricular tachycardia as a complication of digital rectal massage. Annals of emergency medicine. 1988; 17(8):872. PMID:3395001
- Fesmire FM. Termination of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage. Annals of emergency medicine. 1988; 17(8):872. PMID:3395000
- Odeh M, Bassan H, Oliven A. Termination of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage. Journal of internal medicine. 1990; 227(2):145-6. PMID: 2299306
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Vegetarians should skip Andy Neill’s portion…
I am vegetarian and now I have to listen too Andy Neill’s portion!
Ive been meaning to leave a note and say how awesome this allstar FOAM episode was! I usually have a long playlist from my subscribed podcasts (for driving) and i never really know whats coming on next, so It was rad to have all these familiar voices pop up!! I was however pretty upset to not hear the southern drawl of Lauren westefer…that really would have been the icing on the allstar FOAM cake. Next time? (How can you beat that accent!?)