Another month, another sheaf of articles hand picked by Dr Justin Morgenstern for your edification. Check out the written summary over at First10EM for the visual learners!
This month we cover the perils of beef jerky, chocolate, PEs and codeine. Of course, there is a bunch of other stuff that you need to know to sound smart at your next journal club! So sit back, grab a cool drink and listen as we discuss the articles of the month for November 2016.
As always – the full text PDFs are available if you click on the links below – read and draw your own conclusions!
And don’t forget to check out the very smart and smooth competition for FOAM journal clubbing with Dr Ryan Radecki at the ALL NEW EM Lit of Note Podcast..
- Sakles JC, Mosier JM, Patanwala AE, Arcaris B, Dicken JM. First Pass Success Without Hypoxemia Is Increased With the Use of Apneic Oxygenation During Rapid Sequence Intubation in the Emergency Department. Academic emergency medicine. 23(6):703-10. 2016.
- Ioannidis JP. Evidence-based medicine has been hijacked: a report to David Sackett. Journal of clinical epidemiology. 73:82-6. 2016.
- Ray JG, Vermeulen MJ, Bharatha A, Montanera WJ, Park AL. Association Between MRI Exposure During Pregnancy and Fetal and Childhood Outcomes. JAMA. 316(9):952-61. 2016.
- Kitamura T, Kiyohara K, Sakai T. Public-Access Defibrillation and Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Japan. The New England journal of medicine. 375(17):1649-1659. 2016.
- Sista AK et al. Persistent right ventricular dysfunction, functional capacity limitation, exercise intolerance, and quality of life impairment following pulmonary embolism: Systematic review with meta-analysis. Vasc Med 2016
- Wakai A, O’Sullivan R, McCabe A. Intra-articular lignocaine versus intravenous analgesia with or without sedation for manual reduction of acute anterior shoulder dislocation in adults. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2011
- Rowlands R, Rippey J, Tie S, Flynn J. Bedside Ultrasound vs X-ray for the Diagnosis of Forearm Fractures in Children. Journal of Emerg Med. Nov 1 2016
- Chen IC et al. Croup-induced postobstructive pulmonary edema. The Kaohsiung journal of medical sciences. 26(10):567-70. 2010.
- Theobald JL, Spoelhof R, Pallasch EM, Mycyk MB. The Beef Jerky Blues: Methemoglobinemia From Home Cured Meat. Pediatric emergency care. Sept 30 2016.
- Daniels L, Ünlü Ç, de Korte N. Randomized clinical trial of observational versus antibiotic treatment for a first episode of CT-proven uncomplicated acute diverticulitis. The British journal of surgery. 2016.
- Tobias JD et al. Codeine: Time To Say “No”. Pediatrics. Sept 19 2016.
- Delost GR, Delost ME, Lloyd J. The impact of chocolate consumption on acne vulgaris in college students: A randomized crossover study. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 75(1):220-2. 2016
OK, hope you enjoyed the podcast. As always we are very keen to get your feedback, commentary and criticism – we will be back next month after the festive season a little fatter and with a swag of papers for your to dissect.